An ungated category on Amazon is a group of products that do not require special permission from Amazon to sell. This means sellers can easily list and sell their products in this category without additional requirements or approval. Ungated categories are easier to get into, making them a great starting point for beginner Amazon sellers to get familiar with the Amazon platform and start selling products right away.
There are a few things to keep in mind when selling in ungated categories on Amazon. First, it’s important to research and ensure there is a demand for the products you want to sell. Second, you’ll need to price your products competitively. And third, you’ll need to provide excellent customer service.
If you’re looking for a way to start selling on Amazon, ungated categories are a great option. Just be sure to do your research and follow the rules, and you’ll be well on your way to success.
What are Ungated Categories on Amazon?
Ungated categories on Amazon are those that do not require sellers to have prior approval to sell in them. This means that anyone can create a listing and start selling products in these categories, regardless of their experience or seller rating. Also, denoted by the name itself, “Ungated” means no gate for restriction and is open for all.
However, some ungated categories might have a further restriction from a certain brand or on a specific product only.
Benefits of selling in ungated categories:
- Easy to get started: There are no special requirements or approval needed to sell in ungated categories. This makes it a great option for beginner sellers.
- More competitive prices: There is more competition in ungated categories because of no barrier to entry. This can lead to lower prices for sellers.
- More product selection: There are a wider variety of products available in ungated categories. This gives buyers more options to choose from.
Challenges of selling in ungated categories:
- More competition: As mentioned above, there is more competition in ungated categories. This can make it harder to stand out from the crowd.
- Lower profit margins: Because there is more competition, sellers may have to lower their profit margins to compete.
- More difficult to get good reviews: With so many sellers competing in ungated categories, it can be more difficult to get good reviews from buyers.
Overall, selling in ungated categories can be a great way to start selling on Amazon. However, it’s important to be aware of the challenges before you start.
Tips for selling in ungated categories:
- Do your research: Make sure there is a demand for the products you want to sell. You can use Amazon’s search bar to see how many products are already listed in the category you’re interested in.
- Price competitively: Don’t price your products too high or you’ll lose out to the competition. Check what other sellers are charging for similar products.
- Provide excellent customer service: This is essential for any seller, but it’s especially important in ungated categories where there is a lot of competition. Make sure you respond to customer inquiries promptly and resolve any issues quickly.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be well on your way to success selling in ungated categories on Amazon.
Ungated categories on Amazon:
- Automotive & Powersports
- Camera & Photo
- Clothing and Accessories
- Grocery and Gourmet Food
- Health and Personal Care
- Home & Garden
- Movies and TV
- Musical Instruments
- Office Products
- Sports and Outdoors
- Tools & Home Improvement
- Toys and Games
What are Gated Categories on Amazon?
Gated categories on Amazon are those that require sellers to have prior approval to sell in them. This means that only approved sellers can create a listing and start selling products in these categories. Also denoted by the name itself, “Gated” means there is a barrier to entry, and is not open for all.
The selling restriction may either be on the whole category from Amazon or a specific brand or product.
Amazon wants to protect its reputation as a legitimate marketplace, so it requires sellers to be vetted before they can sell in certain categories. This is especially true for categories that are more prone to counterfeiting, such as electronics and fashion.
There are many reasons why a category might be restricted. For example, some categories may require sellers to have a certain level of experience or seller rating. Other categories of restrictions might be due to safety concerns.
If you are interested in selling in a restricted category, you will need to contact Amazon and request approval. Amazon will review your request and determine whether you are eligible to sell in the category.
Gated categories on Amazon
In addition to ungated categories, there are also several restricted categories on Amazon. These categories require sellers to have prior approval before they can start selling in them.
Some of the most popular restricted categories on Amazon are:
- Adult Products
- Automotive parts
- Collectible Coins
- Controlled Substances
- Entertainment Collectibles
- Fine Art
- Hazardous Materials
- Join Amazon Subscription Boxes
- Music & DVD
- Prescription Drugs
- Sports Collectibles
- Streaming Media Players
- Video, DVD, & Blu-ray
Amazon Ungating: How to Request Category Approval
There are a few different ways to get approval for selling in restricted categories on Amazon.
Method 1: Apply for Approval
The first way to get a category ungated is to apply for approval directly from Amazon.
To do so, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Fulfill Prerequisites:
To get a category ungate approval on Amazon, you must meet certain prerequisites set by the marketplace. These prerequisites may vary depending on the category you wish to get ungated. Generally, Amazon requires sellers to have an established selling history, maintain a high level of customer satisfaction, and possess the necessary certifications or licenses associated with the specific category.
Step 2: Prepare Required Documentation:
Each category approval request typically requires specific documentation to prove your eligibility and compliance. This may include invoices from authorized suppliers, product certifications, brand authorization letters, liability insurance, and any other relevant documents. It’s crucial to gather and organize these documents before initiating the ungate process to ensure a smooth and efficient application.
Step 3: Start the Ungating Process:
Once you have fulfilled the prerequisites and prepared the required documentation, you can initiate the ungate process. Log in to your Amazon Seller Central account and navigate to the “Inventory” tab. From there, select “Add a Product” and search for the specific category you wish to ungate. Click on the “Listing Limitations Apply” link and follow the prompts to submit your request. Provide all the necessary information and upload the required documents.
Step 4: Follow Amazon’s Response:
After submitting your category approval request, Amazon will review your application and respond within a specified timeframe. It’s important to regularly check your Seller Central account and email for updates from Amazon. In some cases, Amazon may request additional information or clarification. Respond promptly and provide any requested details to expedite the ungate process.
Method 2: Use supplier invoices
When seeking category approval on Amazon using a supplier, it is important to purchase products that are already listed in the desired category.
When searching for products to purchase, prioritize meeting the required quantity and obtaining a qualifying invoice, rather than focusing on immediate profitability.
Making a profit from these items is not the primary concern, and you may not even send them to Amazon. The key is to meet the purchasing requirements and secure a qualifying invoice.
Once you’ve applied for the desired category, it is important to have the official invoice that is included inside the box. To submit the invoice to Amazon, you can conveniently capture a picture of it using your phone and upload the image.
Also, you can request a PDF version of the invoice from your sales representative before the order arrives. This proactive approach can expedite the approval process, providing you with the necessary documentation in advance.
Still, this does not guarantee that you’d get approval to sell in that specific gated category.
Method 3: Ungate with Buzz Byte
Buzz Byte can help you with ungating your desired category if you are unable to do so yourself.
Buzz Byte is a service provider that helps Amazon sellers ungate different gated categories. We’ve worked with different renowned and reputable suppliers and wholesalers in the US. This allows us to acquire invoices for the products that the sellers want to sell in the gated categories.
Using Buzz Byte to get gated categories ungated can be a quick and easy way for Amazon sellers to expand their product offerings. Buzz Byte has several advantages over other methods of getting gated categories ungated, which are:
We work with a network of reputable suppliers, which means that you can be sure that the invoices you receive will be legitimate.
We offer a fast and efficient service. In most cases, you will receive the invoices that you need within a few days.
Buzz Byte provides a cost-effective service. It would cost you less than trying to acquire invoices yourself. We charge a very nominal fee for our Amazon category ungating service.
Best Ways to Sell on Amazon in 2024
So, you’re ready to dive into the vibrant world of Amazon selling? Buckle up, because you’ve got a thrilling adventure ahead of you! But with so many paths to choose from, how do you navigate the market and find the best way to sell on Amazon?
- Dropshipping on Amazon: Imagine selling products without ever touching them! Dropshipping lets you list items on Amazon, but when orders roll in, your supplier ships directly to the customer. It’s a low-risk, low-investment entry point, perfect for testing product ideas. However, profit margins can be tight, and relying on a third-party supplier adds a layer of complexity.
- Wholesale on Amazon: This classic model involves buying products in bulk at wholesale prices and reselling them on Amazon. It offers higher profit margins than dropshipping but requires upfront investment in inventory. You’ll need to find reliable suppliers, manage storage, and ensure competitive pricing. Fulfillment options like Amazon FBA can streamline logistics and boost visibility.
- Private Label on Amazon: This path involves creating your own brand and selling unique products under your label. It requires significant upfront investment in product development and marketing, but the potential rewards are high. You control branding, pricing, and customer experience, building long-term loyalty and recurring revenue. Amazon FBA can be a valuable partner in scaling your private label business.
- Amazon Retail Arbitrage: This adventurous approach involves sourcing discounted products from brick-and-mortar stores and reselling them on Amazon at a profit. It’s a low-investment option but requires keen hunting skills, knowledge of Amazon policies, and efficient inventory management. Be prepared for competition and potential fluctuations in profit margins.